|In 1882 when The Revd A J MacLean (later the Bishop of Moray) arrived in Skye as a recently ordained deacon there was a small Episcopalian congregation worshipping in a corrugated iron hall in Portree. He set about having a permanent church built and in 1884 the foundation stone of St Columba's was laid by Bishop Chinnery-Haldane. The charge was raised to incumbency status in October 1885. After this encouraging beginning the church had an interesting and sometimes turbulent history. Anyone interested in this history is recommended to read Lucy Sanderson Taylor's booklet, A History of St Columba's Church, Portree. The church is now served by Non-Stipendiary clergy.|
The church itself has been altered so that it can be used during the week as a Parish Centre , and on Sundays (and on other days if required) for church services. The Altar area is enclosed by a folding screen which, symbolically if in little other sense, separates it from the various activities for which the church hall may be used.
There is a stained-glass window commemorating Flora MacDonald in the West Wall, one`of`the two major memorials on the island to her memory.
|Over the years further development was begun by the Revd. Michael Porteus to expand the work to the Island of Raasay and to Sleat in the south end of Skye where the congregation meets in the old building of Sabhal Mor, the Gaelic College.
The latest development is based on the historic St. John's Chapel at Caroy